The company: This is a British healthcare company providing high quality solutions focused on the changing requirements of the acute, community, nursing home and GP environments. It is one of the leading manufacturers and distributors of durable medical products in the world today, with manufacturing and distribution centres in the UK, Ireland, United States, Canada, Germany, Spain, France, Australia, Romania, Taiwan and China. The company is dedicated to its customers by consistently offering the best quality and most functional products across a broad spectrum of healthcare providers’ needs, better value and competitive pricing, world-class customer service and technical support, friendly people to work with and ongoing innovation. The organisation markets its products to customers located throughout Europe, the United States, Canada, Mexico, South America, Latin America, Australia, the Middle East and Asia. They only remaining volume manufacturer of hospital beds in the UK, they offer a product range including electrically operated profiling beds, dynamic and static surfaces, over bed tables, trolleys, couches, plinths and treatment chairs, aids for daily living and a selection of specially engineered bariatric products.
The position: The main purpose of this role is to assist in the growth of the International Beds and Pressure Area Care product range, support products through management of the full product life cycle including new concept generation, life cycle management and end of life product cessation strategies. The category manager will manage product pricing strategies in line with market needs, support the external and internal sales team as required and will ensure that there is sufficient stock to support product sales whilst ensuring the business is not burdened by over stock levels.
Why should you apply?
- It is widely regarded as one of the fastest growing major manufacturers and distributors of durable medical equipment.
- It is an opportunity to join an award winning supplier of medical products.
- How about joining an organisation who are passionate about making a tangible difference to quality of life?
- Over the last 12 months, they have made substantial financial investments and undertaken a major realignment in production facilities to ensure that their UK manufacturing operation can fully support the increased customer demand they are experiencing.
Basic Salary: £40,000 - £45,000
Area Working: Office-based 3-4 days a week in Halifax and 1 day field-based.
Products: Beds and Pressure care
This role is for a highly organised individual with a high level of medical beds and pressure care market understanding and foresight, ideally on an international basis. The successful candidate will likely have at least 3 years’ experience as a category/product manager within a role where the full scope of category/product management tasks were undertaken. It would be advantageous for the successful candidate to have experience of selling/marketing into international markets. It is likely the successful candidate will have a formal marketing qualification. You will have experience of delivering product marketing strategies and plans. You must be adaptable to business needs and have strong time management and project management skills. This role requires a professional category manager with extensive sales/marketing experience who is enthusiastic and dedicated and who enjoys supporting others and can work successfully as part of a team.
You will deliver very structured and managed product strategies and high quality support to the sales team and other departments within the international business. It includes management of the full range of Beds and Pressure Area Care products in line with company revenue plans including:
- Provide full category oversight and management for all Beds and Pressure Area Care and associated products with a focus on the international heath sectors.
- Identify new product opportunities, define the commercial position and build strategies to take viable products through the development process.
- Carry out competitor product evaluations to identify risks to the business, new product opportunities or existing product re-development to maintain a commercial and differential advantage.
- Creating the business plan and market strategy for the new product and executing the project from concept to launch.
- Full product Lifecycle Management, including product life extension strategies and end of life cessation planning and implementation plans.
- Portfolio management to ensure the correct products are maintained in the range, gaps are filled, stock levels are optimised, and slow-moving stock is identified and reduced through targeted strategies in line with the sales team.
- Reducing underperforming products; if commercially viable develop existing product to increase sales to plan. Underperforming products to be removed from the range, minimising any stock right off and ensuring that product support is in place for existing products.
- Managing the pricing strategy for all products within category under management, in line with buying/manufacturing costs, market and competitor pricing.
- Enhance sales margins through ensuring the product specification are produced at the lowest cost to support each channel and where possible developing differentiated product which can be sold at higher margins.
- Creating a 1 & 3+ year category strategy, agree the plans with management and execute on the plan.
- Carry out Market Analysis and competitor analysis.
- Ensure all internal business activities are managed effectively and the outcomes are in line with the overall category plan and will enhance customer satisfaction, differentiate the business and help enhance margins.
- Actively monitor monthly and quarterly sales, margins and market trends and adjust plans and strategies to take advantage of opportunities within international markets and minimise any risks to the category or the business.
- Communicate effectively with all business departments at all levels across the international teams.
- Prepare a monthly report on category activities, current product development, and plan timings.
- Work with the sales team to fully understand market trends across international, competitor activities and product requirements.
- The category manager will on average spend 1 days per week in the market with customers/sales people and competitors and 4 days per week on category planning.
- International travel will be a part of this role.
- Car: Access to company pool car
- Pension: 5% employee, 3% employer contribution
- Healthcare: BUPA cash plan
- Enhanced holidays
- Other Benefits: Cycle to work scheme, Laptop/tablet PC, mobile phone